Monday 25 July 2011

Poem #5 They flee from me that sometime did me seek by Thomas Wyatt

July's Poem of the month I found in a poetry book I found in an Oxfam. Thomas Wyatt was born in 1503 and died in 1542, and was a trusted adviser at the Tudor Court. He is credited with introducing the sonnet to England. For some reason, i like the first verse of this poem a lot, and so chose it as July's poem.

They flee from me that sometime did me seek


They flee from me that sometime did me seek
With naked foot stalking in my chamber.
I have seen them gentle, tame and meek
That now are wild and do not remember
That sometime they put themself in danger
To take bread at my hand; and now they range,
Busily seeking with a continual change.

Thanked be fortune it hath been otherwise
Twenty times better but once in special,
In thin array after a pleasant guise
When her loose gown from her shoulders did fall,
And she caught me in her arms long and small,
Therewithal sweetly did me kiss
And softly said, 'Dear heart, how like you this?'

It was no dream: I lay broad waking
But all is turned thorough my gentleness
Into a strange fashion of foresaking,
And I have leave to go of her goodness,
And she also to use newfangleness.
But since that I so kindly am served,
I would fain know what she hath deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment