Sunday 8 June 2014

Book #14 The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom

The Five People You Meet In Heaven

Next months choice for Book Club is The First Phonecall from Heaven by Mitch Albom - having not read any of his, I thought it best to read 'Five People' first as everyone from Book Club read it ages ago.

At the start of the novel, an elderly man named Eddie, a maintenance man at a fairground dies, and meets five people whose lives he impacted along the way.

The clear purpose of this novel is to give rather a spiritual lesson to its readers on how all lives intersect and how everyone impacts each other. At times this feels trite, earnest and worthy. Also I found it highly American in its moralising.

However when I reached Eddie's fifth person, and the ultimate spiritual lesson of his life, my blood ran cold,  and I got rather emotional.

It's a good book, and a very short, quick and easy read, it reminded me a bit of one of Paulo Coelho's lesser efforts though.

It's all rather wholesome and rather cheesy, but I think has had a great deal of popular appeal, and the reasons for this are clear whilst reading.

Verdict : 7/10    

No comments:

Post a Comment