Saturday 8 March 2014

Book #9 Tarantula by Thierry Jonquet

Tarantula

Tarantula by French writer Thierry Jonquet is the novel upon which Pedro Almodovar based his 2011 film The Skin I Live In.

When I saw The Skin I Live In I thought it was quite breathtakingly original and I was floored by the films central twist.

To read Tarantula was odd then because I knew exactly what was coming and was unsurprised which takes the central shock value of the book away, but even without the foreknowledge of the having seen the film, the books events are heavily signposted in a way that the film just wasn't (at least for me)

The film made several departures from the book too, and with the exception perhaps of the end, which should have stayed true, were just better ideas.

Those parts which focused on Alex over Richard and Eve were just plain dull at times.

You'll note that I have said very little of the plot or events in this review, that's because The Skin I Live In was just such a jaw dropping film that I would hate to ruin it for anyone.

I feel that I cannot say the same of Tarantula which just doesn't have the same impact.

Verdict : 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment