Thursday 16 June 2011

Poem #4 A Thunderstorm In Town by Thomas Hardy

This months poem comes from Thomas Hardy a writer I DETESTED when studying his collected poems at A Level and then fell in love with through his novels 'Far From The Madding Crowd' and 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles'.

Although I didn't enjoy his poetry as a whole, I did like this one :

A Thunderstorm In Town
She wore a 'terra-cotta' dress,
And we stayed, because of the pelting storm,
Within the hansom's dry recess,
Though the horse had stopped; yea, motionless
We sat on, snug and warm.

Then the downpour ceased, to my sharp sad pain,
And the glass that had screened our forms before
Flew up, and out she sprang to her door:
I should have kissed her if the rain
Had lasted a minute more. 
 
It reminds me of those moments in life we have when we almost chance
something, and fate conspires against us.

No comments:

Post a Comment